Sculptor of the 111th New York Infantry Monument
Born: 1834 Died: August 22nd, 1899
See the sculptor of the 9th New York Cavalry tab at right for more information on Buberl.
A rare albumen image, taken by famed Gettysburg photographer William Tipton, of the 111th New York Infantry Monument just after completion in 1891. In the foreground can be seen a portion of the famous stone wall. Also, in the background can be seen the Codori farm.The sculptor signed his work when he completed the clay model in 1889. Most of Buberl's works at Gettysburg are unsigned.
The bronze statue of the 111th New York Infantry represents a northern soldier on the skirmish line. In the American Civil War infantry tactics were used to direct the movement of the armies. Infantry soldiers were taught how and where to move when given specific commands. Hours of drilling were required to educate new recruits in these tactics. Above you will see a page from an original volume of Casey's Infantry Tactics Volume 1, on the deployment of a platoon (half of a company) to the skirmish line. The men would deploy into groups of four men (if the skirmish line would be attacked by cavalry these four men would regroup and form a four man square) and then these men would deploy in a single line spread out approx. 5 paces between each. This deployment would be several hundred yards in advance of the main infantry line of battle. The intent of a skirmish line as described in Casey's Infantry Tactics was "When skirmishers are thrown forward out to clear the way for, and to protect the advance of, the main corps, and their movements should also be regulated by the corps, as to keep it constantly covered." In other words the skirmish line protected the main line from any surprises from an advancing enemy. The 111th N.Y. Infantry along with many other regiments would be deployed as skirmishers in front of the 2nd Corps line on Cemetery Ridge during the Battle of Gettysburg.
Caspar Buberl was the sculptor of the bronze statue of the 4th New York Light Artillery (Smith's Battery) monument located above Devil's Den. This wonderfully detailed sculpture is of an artilleryman, rammer in hand, striking a confident pose. The bronze portion of this monument was destroyed by vandals several years ago.
Buberl's works at Gettysburg include:
9th New York Cavalry Monument - dedicated July 1, 1888.
4th New York Independant Battery - dedicated July 2, 1888 (now gone due to vandals)
5th New York Cavalry Monument - dedicated July 3, 1888
126th New York Monument - dedicated October 3, 1888 (bronze bas-relief of Eliakim Sherrill)
10th New York Cavalry Monument - dedicated October 9, 1888
54th New York infantry Monument - dedicated July 4, 1890
111th New York Infantry Monument - dedicated June 26, 1891
New York State Monument in the National Cemetery - dedicated July 2, 1893
41st New York infantry Monument - dedicated July 2, 1893
52nd New York Infantry Monument - dedicated July 3, 1893.
Map of the location of the 111th N.Y. Inf. Monument (click lower right corner of photo to enlarge)
Red Balloon: Bryan Barn
Blue Balloon: 111th N.Y. Inf. Monument approx 20 feet east of the stone wall.
Green Balloon: 12th N.J. Inf. Monument along the stone wall.
A battle of words broke out in 1890 between the 12th New Jersey Regimental Association and the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association (GBMA). The issue was that the 111th New York Infantry Monument was being constructed on the same line as the 12th N.J. While visiting the battlefield in May of 1890, members of the 12th N. J. found that preparations were underway for the construction of the foundation for the 111th N. Y. Infantry Monument. Member Joseph Burrows of the 12th N.J. indicated in a letter written to the GBMA dated 4 June, 1890 that “ the 111th New York had commenced the erection of their monument directly upon the line occupied by our regt.”
This would indicate that the original excavation of the 111th N.Y. monument was to be along the stone fence near the Bryan barn. Many more letters from members of the 12th N.J. would indicate the 111th N.Y. was in a supporting line behind the 12th N.J. However, members of the 111th N.Y. would argue their point. In a letter to the GBMA dated 9 July, 1890 John Brinkerhoff of the 111th N.Y. argued “our regiment was swung around into the front line and lapped the 12th N.J. on our left, with which about two companies of each were mingled. Here we were in rear of the wall, behind the Bryan house barn.”
This war of words would continue for nearly one year until the dedication of the 111th N.Y. monument in June, 1891. As you review the map above, you can see the monument of the 111th N. Y. Infantry is indeed behind the line of the 12th N.J. and not along the stone wall. By most accounts, the left of the 111th N.Y. was behind the right of the 12th N.J. The 111th N.Y. occupied the area around the Bryan Barn and by most eye witness accounts the monument now occupies the correct position.
At the dedication of the monument, Colonel Mac Dougall during his oration would remind the members that the monument was erected "on the spot where your colors stood" and where "four color bearers grandly gave up their lives in their defence."
A fitting monument indeed!
The photos used on these pages are copyrighted by myself or others. They can only be copied or reproduced with written permission or the clearly legible quotation "Copyright www.gettysburgsculptures.com and linked back to this web site. Please contact me by using the Contact Gettysburg Sculptures page on this site.